These indulgent tartlets, packed with cherry preserve and light almonds, have far fewer calories than shop-bought versions.
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Serves: 36
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer as per packet instructions
ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
ORGRAN Custard Mix
- 5 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1 375g packet ORGRAN Vanilla Cake Mix
water, to make up Vanilla Cake
- 2 teaspoons ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer as per packet instructions, to make up Vanilla Cake
soft low-fat margarine, to make up Vanilla Cake
- A few drops almond essence, to make up Vanilla Cake
- ¼ cup ground almonds, extra to add to Vanilla Cake
- 1. Preheat oven to 160ºC (325ºF).
- 2. Individual 8cm (3\”) foil trays are best for making these tarts.
- 3. Cream low-fat margarine, sugar and vanilla.
- 4. Gradually add ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer to creamed mixture, beating well.
- 5. Sift flour, baking powder, cornflour and custard powder into creamed mixture and mix well. Dough should be a firm consistency.
- 6. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly. Divide dough in half. Wrap one half of dough securely in plastic wrap to prevent dough drying out.
- 7. Roll half of the dough to approximately 0.5cm (¼\’\’) thickness.
- 8. Using an 8cm (3\”) fluted cutter dipped in flour, cut out rounds of pastry. Carefully lift into individual foil trays and gently press pastry into each foil tray. Place tart shells onto a flat oven tray to facilitate handling.
- 9. Roll out remaining pastry and cut out tart shells and fit into foil trays. Place foil trays onto a flat oven tray.
- 10. Place jam into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir. Microwave for a further 30 seconds and stir. Stir in 1½ cups ground almonds.
- 11. Place approximately 1 teaspoon ground almond and jam mixture into each tart shell.
- 12. Place the Vanilla Cake Mix into a food processor bowl. Make up the cake by pouring in water and adding ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer, low-fat margarine, almond essence and extra ground almonds. Mix well to combine ingredients.
- 13. Pour approximately 1 tablespoon cake mixture into each tart shell taking care not to overfull tart shells.
- 14. Place tarts into a moderate oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested and pastry is light golden brown.
- 15. When cooked, remove from oven and leave in foil trays. 16. When cold, store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Tart shells are filled with Orgran Vanilla Cake flavoured with ground almonds.